Friday, May 20, 2011

My top 15 destinations 'wish-list'

For those who know me well they know I'm very interested in travel and have studied tourism for several years. I believe it stems from... well, let's just say my first transatlantic trip to Portugal when I was two years old.

So I've compiled my TOP 15 destinations that I wish to see in my lifetime. (In no particular order) & they are all cities I have yet to visit. Enjoy!

1. Brazil

Beautiful beaches, the Amazon, Carnival & most of all (this is obviously a biased opinion lol) the language. Brazil is the largest portuguese speaking country and the only one in South America) There's just something about the culture I want to experience.




2. China

One of the world's oldest civilizations and with the Great Wall known worldwide this destination caught my eye a while ago. From the Yangtze river to Beijing's culture & the city life of Shanghai this country holds many treasures.



3. India

Where do I start? The magnificent Taj Mahal, bright & embellished saris, henna, jewels and the expressive music & dance. It is the second most populous country in the world that holds the origins of a modern favorite, yoga.



4. Australia

Typical right? Well I want to see Kangaroo's, Koala's & Emu's with my own two eyes! Not to mention the Sydney Opera House, The Outback, sandy beaches & hear the accent everywhere I go. Because I dislike rain I wouldn't mind visiting the driest inhabited country in the world.



5. Greece

A vision of blue and white, Greece has interested me ever since 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' & 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants'. From the cuisine, Greek Island hoping tours to the Acropolis & Parthenon Greece is a definite must see.


6. The Netherlands (Holland)

Where else can you find clogs, canals, a Red Light District, twice as many bikes as cars & 206 Van Gogh paintings? ...did I mention the laid back yet carefully regulated Red Light District? (Enough said.)



7. Italy

Historic, fashionable, culinary and religious, Italy has it all. From the Colosseum, to the leaning tower of Pisa, the Vatican, gondola rides in Venice & the Trevi fountain. A definite must-see for hopeless romantics like myself.



8. Spain

A vibrant nightlife, beaches, bull fights & a laid-back lifestyle are only some of Spain's selling points. Beautiful architecture & religion mesh when it comes to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Spain also has one of the best soccer teams in the world.



9. England

England offers so many landmarks & attractions: Big Ben, The London Eye, Tower Bridge, Double Decker buses, red phone booths & most importantly the Queen & Buckingham Palace. It is also the home of the prehistoric monument Stonehenge.


10. Turkey

A definite gem, Turkey has the best of the Middle East & Mediterranean all in one. The Blue Mosque is not to miss as well as the ruins of past empires, hamam's, markets & numerous historical/archeological marvels.


11. Egypt

The Pyramids are my favorite wonders of the ancient world. Famous for its ancient civilization, the Nile, camels & a majority of Islam tradition, Egypt is complex & monumental in many ways. It is also the largest city in Africa.



12. Cape Verde

Located on the Western coast of Africa, Cape verde is an archipelago consisting of 10 islands in the Atlantic Ocean. A portuguese colony, Cape Verdeans have their own creole. Its capital is Praia which means beach. A non-traditional island getaway.




13. The United Arab Emirates - Dubai

Known to be a little over-the-top, Dubai is a modern wonder. Dubai lures tourists with world class shopping and the world's tallest man-made structure, tallest hotel, biggest mall & biggest aquarium. Less than 20% of its population is actually locals.


14. Japan

Overall, the Japanese are the most polite & hospitable people. Technologically advanced while preserving cultural values keeps Japan unique. Temples & gardens are popular tourist attractions. However, sushi is where my real interest lies.


15. Hawaii

Hawaii is picturesque & has something for everyone. Surfing, culture, luaus, beaches, flowers, waterfalls, volcanoes & coffee. Hawaii is the 50th state of the USA and is comprised of four countries. Each island has its personal flair.


I hope this motivates you to discover your own interests whether they include traveling or not.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment